And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Friendly Soju Bottles

I have news that may shock anyone familiar with my job. This week I am not working a full week. Again. Like most weeks, come to think of it. Possibly it's not as shocking as I just asserted.

We have half days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week because the kids are taking their final exams: stressful and painful for them, easy and relaxing for me. So yesterday after work I met up with Jen, who so covetously has the entire week off, to go shopping in the PNU area. Pusan National University is surrounded with a variety of cute little shops, as well as great foreign restaurants. The Turkish restaurant is there. So is a new Italian restaurant.

Late in the day we planned to meet Kevin for some real Italian food, as none of us have yet eaten there. As Jen and I were going to meet up with him, we passed in front of a large display of girls in short skirts, which must have been exceedingly uncomfortable in the mildly frigid weather, and walking Soju bottles. Immediately one Soju bottle sidled up to Jen and I, directing us toward the table of samples. Yes, that's right, samples of Soju being given out in the street.

Perhaps you may be confused as to why this is funny. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the beloved Korean drink. In Korea, drinking soju is a national past time. It is a highly alcoholic drink that tastes something like paint thinner. Yet given both the urging of our friendly soju bottle and that of the smiling, giggling girl with half a skirt coupled with the night time chill that reached sinisterly under our coats, we partook. After, our life-sized Soju host mimed that he (I only assume soju bottles are male, though I could very well be incorrect) wanted a picture with us. When this was made clear, he had another message to relay to the blond North Americans. Pointing to himself. Pointing to us. Drawing a heart in the air.

We are loved by a Soju bottle. This is love, indeed.

Where else, though, is it possible, or especially legal, to give out free alcohol on the streets? Under aged? No matter. Heading to your car? Well take this to warm up! We couldn't help but laugh at such a display that seems to embody all that is Korean.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

oh korea.

why does everyone have time off this week? is there a holiday that my school isn't aware of?

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free soju... Doesn't it just empitomise Korea?

And, Liz, my school isn't aware of it, either. :(

12:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good von! love is in the air...not everyone is loved by a big soju bottle!

Ode to Korea...

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm commenting--shocking!

but i just had to say...have you tasted paint thinner?

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh yes, the living soju bottles are only mildly interested in me, but I like their googley eyes.

I actually laughed out loud for a few minutes when I read this, you certainly have a way with words.

Terri (from church)
Should have posted earlier, esp on the blog about western women and Korean men since I did marry one.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rob Sack said...

My response:

http://daddyrob.blogspot.com/2006/12/soju-and-me.html

With a picture!

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home