And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Betrayal

I once heard a fable of a girl who was visited at a young age by a menacing genie. To her, he proposed an interesting choice; would she prefer an idyllic life in her youth and one of tribulation in her later years, or would she rather the situation to be reversed? After some thought, her choice was to face the trials in her youth, saving a happy life for maturity. Thus, she endured one tragedy after another, losing both parents in tragic accidents and suffering a myriad of other afflictions. Magically at some point, then, this genie’s vicious appetite for suffering having been slaked, a turning point occurred. Forced to fulfill the end of his promise, her life became all that could be hoped for, remedying the painful past.

At times I have wondered if this story were meant for me, and if so which of the choices I had made, or, indeed, whether I had even been given the choice to make. For in so many ways, I had the perfectly idyllic childhood. Painted in such bright colors and smiling, happy memories, I lived a life that could cause envy in many others. Yet I remember a distinct moment in college, likely after my sister’s accident, that I saw with startling clarity the difficulties that had slipped in during my youth, posing as normalcy. I began to become affected by them, embracing instead this notion that my life had been tipped in the direction of difficult trials as opposed to contented bliss.

Had my choice therefore been made for a happy adult life? Possibly, or at least I could hope.

For deep down I had always believed this fairy tale, assuming that you had but one option in your life. At which point did one face affliction: earlier or later? Life, however, has proved this assumption to be highly erroneous. Betrayal and perfidy pay no heed to your past.

This probably shouldn't be posted as a blog, but this hurt drives me both to write and to attempt some feeble reconnection with those whom I love.

I'm sorry to all the people with who I have not yet contacted. I have indeed, as my dear cousin Amber recently noted, fallen off the face of the earth. From my former promise to write everyone, I have gained more emails in my inbox (currently 191) and have responded to few, if any. Emily, Tuesdays just aren't the same without you, even six months later. Sacha, an email waits in my drafts box for you; what can I say to a dear friend who I miss so much? I missed Amber's graduation from law school. I missed my sister Ashley's birthday. I missed my dad's birthday. I missed mother's day. And I will miss my cousin Amy's wedding.

Meaghan asked me the other day if I had just forgotten, as she had forgotten her parents' anniversary. No, I have never forgotten. I remembered on and before the days. I just haven't had time. It's a feeling I hate only slightly less than having too much time, as was my situation when I wasn't working.

I love you all and miss you deeply. I am fine, in most respects. Doing quite well, actually. Damp cheeks may belie such an assertion, but my smile remains. The show must go on. I hope to see you all soon.

Love Aub

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Aubs, As life tends to go on know you are loved and missed dearly. My desire to know what you are up to is purely selfish as I am sure that I would know soon if you were not well. I just need to miss you less, and to know your happenings makes it seem as though you are a part of my life. Gracie is so blessed to have so many international aunties in her life and I know when she meets you all she will love you. When time permits please drop a line about how you really are. You know me I need details. Loves and smooches from Gracie Rae and her Mommy too.

4:29 AM  
Blogger D said...

i miss you aubs. any trips to MI planned?

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear aubrey


sorry, don't have your email, but hope you're doing well. sometimes, a blogger friend posts a thought so resonant that you wonder if there's such a thing as esp!

freaky coincidence? my low point started in college /univ too, through the years, I've tried to pinpoint exactly how and when that awareness of adversity started, for years, I alternated between hope and despair , convinced that God who I believed had been on my side had abandoned me and was actually targetting me for slow destruction. More often than not, the one question on my mind "why me? what did I do to deserve this? " That was never answered, till today. That period of darkness and suffering has abated somewhat, originally some fortune teller ( I know, hokey rite?) had predicted that it would last only 3 years, it's been 11 years at the last count. If I had known it would be such a long time I'm not sure I wouldn't have gone to extreme measures to end it all. The funny thing was it wasn't so much the trials and tribulations that were so hard to swallow but that awareness of tragedy and suffering that surfaced, guess I was just blithely dumb prior to that, the arrogance of youth! not sure why but that awareness ensures that most people are never quite as blithely happy as before because you now know what the bitterness of suffering is like and somewhere in your mind is the niggling fear of "what/when the next lighjtning bolt's gonna hit "

aubs, I'm not gonna tell you that it's gonna be ok soon 'cos everyone's private hell has their own time limit nor am I gonna be patronizing and tell you that if you tell yourself to get over the difficulties you can , 'cos that doesn't work for everyone (and it's shite when a friend says that to you) Just take the time you need and one day you'll find yourself out of the abyss and dancing in the sunshine just hope you won't be as "twisted and cynical" as me by then . some people think what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and some think god only gives burdens to people who can bear them but there are times when you may wonder if god over-estimates or has a deadly sense of humour ! Suddenly realizing your life has had more thorns and stones than grass and roses may not be a bad thing 'cos the future can only be clearer without the fog of oblivious blitheness .

be strong!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Rob Sack said...

Shucks. We love you anyways.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. McKee said...

Tuesdays aren't the same without you, either. Actually...nothing is the same, but that's besides the point. I miss you and I'm looking forward to a time when your internet access is more regular.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aubrey, I found your blog from our files. In light of your situation I don't want to disclose my agency's name, but we spoke with you about central asia several years ago and I wanted to see how things are going in Korea and how your thoughts for your future are developing. -Adam

you can email me at facialhair@funnote.net

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home