And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Women's Group

I didn't tell you yet that I'm in a women's group here in Busan, did I? The only criterion to participate is that you have to be a woman; so after some intense scrutiny, they declared me acceptable (for the group, at least).

When I went to the first meeting, I was entirely unsure what to expect. To me, the term "women's group" sounded like a great idea, but with the possibility of angry overbearing feminists disparaging men and society in general. An extreme assumption, I know. But it gives a nice effect, don't you think? Actually, just by the girls who are in the group, there was no possibility of that situation occurring. I mean, they're really wonderful girls. Regardless, I went to the first meeting without a clear picture of the group's purpose.

Well, it was incredible. We decided to make it a potluck, so everyone brought delicious food. When the meeting began, we started by introducing ourselves. Aisha, who was leading, told us to do so by telling what we are passionate about as women. The discussions it generated were amazing! I'd try to explain, but I would do it such a horrible injustice that it's not even worth it. From this meeting I felt so much support and encouragement as a woman, rather than the competitiveness that so often arises amongst women. We even remarked how different the meeting would have been if even one man had been present; to vie for a man's attention is a natural reaction.

This past Saturday I led what was the third meeting. Rather than telling you about it, I'll give you the link to our blog (wow, I went from neglecting one blog to being able to neglect two!).
http://champerslatte.blogspot.com/ "The Currency of Beauty" from Friday, May 26 is the post to which I am referring. It's a bit long, but not a bad read, if I do say so myself (you know I never miss an opportunity to brag...). The entire blog gives a good overview of what the group is about.

Oh, and I am under a different user name for that blog, simply because I am entirely technologically disinclined, and so rather than use the same name for both, I could only make two. Sigh. 민 망해 (min mang hey). Oh, that's this great Korean word I learned meaning "embarrassed." My friend actually explained that it means "being embarrassed by a compliment." So it's not totally appropriate, but I figure it somewhat abates my shame at being so computer hopeless. Somewhat.

It's really a good word to have for life in Korea. Merely because I'm a blonde foreigner (or as they say, "Way gook. Yellow hair."), I get an excessive amount of compliments. As I walk through the halls of my school, I hear excited exclamations of "Oh! So beautiful!" "Hair is pretty!" "I-ee LOVE-uh YOU!" The last is a little odd when said by the boys or the other teachers (no, I'm not lying. I have certain teacher who seems a bit enamored). I've kind of chuckled and said, "Really? Ha ha. Thanks." So this new word is perfect. "Min mang hey-ra!" And they squeel with excitement at my somehow comprehendible attempt at Korean.

By the way, every single foreigner in Korea experiences this. They're compliments which, at first, are a boost to one's self-esteem, but quickly become old hat. Sometimes it seems better to just walk around and say, "I know, I know." We just get the attention because we're different. Not that I'm complaining, actually. I like the incessant compliments. It's fun. Like you're own personal fan club. Feel free to join (It's free! Any Dutch people will appreciate that!). I need some members in America (or where ever you may be...)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob Sack said...

Hmph.

I don't usually experience that.

The university kids just giggle and say, "Ha-ee!" (that's "hi" stretched into two syllables.)

Good post. I hope the women's group continues to be refreshing for you.

Peace,

Rob

11:14 PM  
Blogger Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Aubs, I just love that we are finally in touch again. Womens group sounds fantastic, I hope it continues to be a blessing to you. Miss you and love you much, Tracy and Baby Hos

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home