And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Quarter of a Century

I have decided that it takes an entire week to celebrate my birthday. So although I am posting this on August 5 (incidentally my mom's birthday), I am dating it as August 1st, my birthday. And why not? After all, I am now one quarter of a century. Don't ask me the significance of this other than I feel it should be significant. Perhaps the turn is this is the age where I begin to fudge a little (translation: lie) about my age. There is some sort of dense reality at age 25.

As a child, 25 was the age of an adult, no different from 40. I assumed at this age that I would be married with children. But I still feel like a child. The falsehood of this feeling was pronounced today by a wise 6 year old, a neighbor's child playing on the beach. My mom, who is instantly friends with any child she meets, was playing around with her. After my mom walked into the water, I said, "You know, it's my mom's birthday today!"

Incredulously she stared at me, appraising me, then responded, "She's your mom?!" As if I were too old to have a mother. Just another adult. So here I am at 25, not a girl, not yet a woman (NO! Beat Britney back with a stick, suppress the urge to sing a really bad song!). Happily will I embrace this new age, however. I have long anticipated embracing my proper age, gracefully growing in years. Though it now surprises me that I begin to ponder that.

If this past glorious birthday week has been any indication of how this year will be, I am eager to meet it. There is too much to write now, but I promise to spectacularly bore you with details later. Jess was here, here being the cottage. I celebrated with family. And tomorrow after church I leave with my mom, grandma, and sister to meet Daane and Chad on the Appalachian trail. Yes, I will be a hiker. In the heat reaching over 100 degrees (which, for our Celsius friends, exceeds 38 degrees), they continued to hike nearly 30 miles (sigh... 48 kilometers) per day. So pardon me while I get my beauty sleep. Once again, I've been having too much fun to go to bed.

Lots of love,
Aub

P.S. To all who have emailed, I'm terribly sorry. I just haven't. I promise to do it later, when (gulp... if) I get time. Thank you so much to those of you who emailed me on my birthday. Major bonus points to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Britney pops up at the strangest moments, doesn't she?

Happy birthday once again and a few days late! This is your birthday month, so keep right on celebrating. And remember that you are now almost closer to 30 than you are to 20. Great thought, isn't it? ;)

10:03 AM  
Blogger J said...

congrats! hey, 25 is young, age envy!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think of all the amazing things you have done this 'quarter of a century'
Just imagine all the things you will do in the next 25 years!! Let the good times roll!!!!
And remember that I will always volunteer to be your partner in crime ;)

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home