And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Friday, July 07, 2006

I am... a Place Dropper

Have I mentioned that I'm living in Korea? Yes? Oh, ok. Did I say that I've traveled South East Asia and India? Oh, I did? Hmm... How about all my communist countries, like China, Russia, and Uzbekistan? I said those, too? Well, this is possibly because I am a highly conspicuous Place Dropper. I rarely miss an opportunity to mention the name of a country in which I have traveled. Whenever someone is talking, I like to connect it back to one of my 16 visited countries. "Thailand? You'll love it! I've been there three times." "You like Italian food? That reminds me of when I went to Rome." "Lentils? Hey, that sounds like 'Lenin' and did you know I actually saw him embalmed at the Kremlin in Red Square in Moscow?"

I am especially culpable when I am complimented on what I'm wearing. I really, REALLY like shopping, but being Dutch-American, I prefer not to spend a lot of money doing so (we are generally stereotyped as being cheap; I've found this stereotype to often be true). The perfect solution arises when traveling. I find really cool, unique skirts, jewelry, and tops, all inexpensive (which prompts me to buy more, actually). Then when someone says, "Hey, Aubrey, that's a really great skirt," I can quickly say, "Thanks, it's from Thailand!" Can you comprehend the subtle brilliance of how I just did that? Accepting a compliment and establishing myself as well-traveled in one fell swoop. I know, I know; I'm amazing.

One day I was up in Jen's apartment with Ang and Liz when one of them commented on my earrings. Of course I began with my well-practiced response of their origin. Likely it was Thailand or India. "You're such a Place Dropper," Jen informed me. Yes, yes I am. Good of someone to notice. I, of course, embraced the phrase, as I do will all my strangeness. But if you travel, you do it, too. All my Place Droppers, you know who you are.

Thankfully I don't know any famous people. I have a strong feeling that if I did, I would probably purchase a megaphone to quietly tell only family and close friends about my encounters with them. They would at first confide in me details of their lives; I would nod sympathetically and pat their backs encouragingly, all the while plotting how to best share with others about this experiences. Celebreties: beware. To any friends that may become famous someday: I will probably be the person writing a book about how I knew you. As it is, I must suffice with names of countries. They have become like my celebrities. Oh, Laos? I know her! Yeah, we spent a week together and got along really well. Let me tell you about the time...

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I'm a Place Dropper, too, and shamelessly so.

The shirt I have on at this very moment... London. My trousers... Belgium. My shoes... Thailand.

And there you have it. You're not alone in your continual place dropping. ;)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

well, I have this awesome necklace. Aubs gave it to me. She got it in Thailand.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

I too have gifts from all over the world thanks to my well travelled friend. Place drop all you'd like my love you have been there and deserve the chance to share. I have been to..... well there we have it. Loves, Trace and Baby

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home