And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Sunshiny Day

Just want you to know that the sun is shining, birds are singing, children are laughing, and I am eating food again. Yes, it's a good day. Liz and I, with Ang and Jen's help, broke the fast with tortilla chips and salsa, banana pancakes, and Starbucks. Hey, we never claimed to be that healthy.

The really ironic part, I should say, is that after shakily grabbing whatever food we could, we started talking happily about our next fast. Oi. Masochists.

Here are some quotes from Gandhi so you can think I gleaned some spiritual wisdom from this:
  • A genuine fast cleanses the body, mind and soul. It crucifies the flesh and to that extent sets the soul free.
  • What the eyes are for the outer world, fasts are for the inner.
  • A complete fast is a complete and literal denial of self. It is the truest prayer.
  • If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior.

Oops, he he. How did that last one get in there? Actually, I'm putting that one on my email signature. Gandhi knew his stuff. And that is in no way tongue-in-cheek. I always respected him, but that respect was catapulted to a new level when I was in India. What an incredible man. But this isn't a serious post. More on my respect for Gandhi another time.

I'm thinking that possibly my next fast should be a bit more fun. How does this sound: a fast from work? I think I like it... But my friends here who actually do work will kill me for that one. I have a month and a half vacation coming up soon anyway. Now that's a fast I can get into. Or I can do a chocolate-only fast. Whoa. That sounds even scarier than a total food fast. What good is eating if you can't have chocolate?

Have a great day, all. Enjoy everything that this life has to offer us.

Love, Aub

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan, Tracy, Gracelyn & Olivia said...

Aubslee, you crack me up my dear. In my hormonal and utterly fatigued state that is essential. You are a friend I can always count on. So glad to be a daily part of your life again. Can't wait to see you. Loves, Tracy and Baby H.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

go gandhi. go chocolate.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

I really don't have any comment related to your post; I just like commenting.

enjoy the day (it's shining again!)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home