And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Monday, June 12, 2006

One Wild and Crazy Saturday Night

Eating strange, untested foods. Nearly getting kicked out of a restaurant. Running around like crazy under a lightning-streaked sky. All are ingredients for a rather unconventional, dare I say legendary, Saturday night. I had the distinct privilege of meeting 4 very unique people and dear friends for dinner on Saturday. Darren is unstoppable energy; he's constantly on the move, cooking up various exceedingly fun sorts of trouble for everyone. Jenny knows how to scheme as well, though executes her plans more discreetly, wreaking havoc without drawing a line to incriminate herself. David elevates any situation by infusing it with his own side splitting humor and a rolling, boisterous laugh. And Grace is our desperately needed mediator, watching that the situation does not burn out of control, but joining in on the fun nevertheless. There's no one like them in all of Busan. Oh, and did I mention that they're all 9 years old?

No, I lied... Grace is 8.

I will now assume that you are somewhat familiarized with some of my favorite people in Korea. Their age is purely incidental. I have as much fun with them as with anyone else. They composed what was my super star class when I worked at SLP. On days that stretched on for years, these kids suddenly became my bright point, infusing energy back into me. All were born and raised in Korea, but are so incredibly gifted that they speak like native English speakers. Actually, that's not true. Their English is better than most American kids their age. They use words that aren't taught until high school.

While studying "Harry Potter," "Number the Stars," "Holes," and "The BFG," we were able to discuss the characterization and underlying themes within the books. We learned about homographs, homophones, and homonyms. They wrote amazing stories using personification or inferences. You can ask any of them what onomatopoeia is. Go ahead. I dare you. Ask.

These kids are brilliant. But on top of that, their personalities are so endearing that they wrap around your heart with a certain finality. You realize how special they are, how you'll never again have an opportunity to know kids like these. I should mention that their families are wonderful, too. I've always felt so supported and taken care of by them. For American Thanksgiving, the beginning of the American family holiday season, Jenny's mom brought a pizza to class so I wouldn't miss home as much. David's family has given me two spectacular fans hand-painted by his grandmother. Grace's family is like having a second family here in Korea. And Darren always surprised us with treats and drinks in class. Their families have never allowed me to pay for anything when I take the kids out, regardless of how I implore them. On Saturday, they prepaid for us to have a tremendous steak dinner (a true treat for any carnivore in Korea... especially one hailing from the Midwest). And yes, we nearly were kicked out. Other diners stared at the table loudly speaking in English, at times throwing choice food items at others at the table, and concocting strange dishes that they dared Aubrey to eat. And I obliged. You're shocked, I know.

One item began as soup. Water was added, then various fruit peels and rinds, mushroom sauce, a few chunks of meat, ice cream with toppings, and finally seasoned with salt and pepper. Mmm... it was as good as it sounds.

After eating, we walked over to Bexco to play tag until their parents had to come pick them up. When the person who was "it" (strangely it ended up being me the whole time... I wonder how that could be! He he. Every time I ran near them, they yelled, "Fire! Fire! You can't touch me. I'm fire." Right. So cung.) was too tired to keep running, we sat around and told riddles.

I had such a great evening with them. It's one of those times where I realize exactly how thankful I am that I'm here in Korea, that I'm a teacher, that I've been blessed by such incredible people around me.

Once again my photos aren't working and it's really frustrating me. I think it's this dumb computer. So I'll upload later.

Love you all,
Aub

2 Comments:

Blogger J said...

happened upon your blog by chance ; heard that some parents are so eager for their kids to speak like westerners that they have them undergo surgery on their tongues


how's the work environment in korea?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Hmm... I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't be too surprised. That's very cung. Number one nation on earth for plastic surgery; I suppose tongue surgery falls in that category. Mostly, they just get native English speakers, then tell them to work on their "American" accent. Oi.

It's great working here, though. I really love it. Though there are plenty of horror stories, too. I'm a lucky one. Are you thinking of coming?

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home