And Aubrey Was Her Name...

Like a lovely melody that everyone can sing; take away the words that rhyme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

No Thanks, I Don't Eat Food

The food native to Korea could never be argued to be the haute cuisine of the world. Featuring such stand-outs as pickled cabbage, white rice, boiled silk worm larvae, white rice, dried and salted seaweed, and plain... white... rice, the connoisseur is left weeping in the corner.*

However, I manage to do quite well for myself. There are many fine restaurants, cooking at home, when I have time, is quite fun, and I have numerous friends with what can actually be labeled as culinary skill. I don't starve.

Though every so often, motivated in no way by necessity, I abstain. A friend will come to me, bright eyed and excited, and suggest attempting the "other" F-word: fasting. Going without food for a set period of time, usually a few days or longer. A total fast will allow only for water. Lesser, easier fasts allow juices. This friend will remind me of the health benefits of a fast, that it cleans your body of toxins and rejeuvenates your entire system. "We'll feel great after it!" comes the empty promise, the false hope. But I get caught up in the excitement and heartily agree that not eating food is the best idea I've heard all day.

Jessica was particularly resolute in ensuring that her refrigerator felt neglected. I think we attempted three fasts together, though each time they were different (read: shorter and easier). Initially we attempted a five day water fast. Ah, what starry-eyed optimists. The subsequent fasts allowed for juice. The other day Liz approached me about trying another fast. We're doing a few day juice fast. Pass the orange juice, please.

It's funny what going without food can do to you. I have always assumed that I'm a rather cheerful, pleasant girl. But when I forego eating, I suddenly become sullen and cranky. My mind allows no further contemplation than the very thing I've given up. That, I believe, is simply a part of my nature, not merely the effect of a lack of nutrients; when I can't have something, it's all I want.

The only other bad part is I have to lie to my Korean co-workers. "Aubrey, no eat lunch today?" No, I explain, I can't. Very sick. It's nice because then I get sympathy the rest of the day. I can't really tell them the truth because of the language and culture differences. Try explaining "detoxification" to the average Korean; it just wasn't top on their vocab lists in school. Also, they tend to aggrandize the health benefits of rice and kimchi (the pickled cabbage); I'm not buying it. When they saw me bringing only fruits and vegetables to work every day, they gawked and said that I would get sick if I didn't start eating some kimchi; still not buying. So I'm guessing that they just wouldn't accept that not eating can be good for you. Maybe you don't either. Actually, when I'm doing it, I don't either.

So I'm now about 6 waking hours into my fast and I've already had numerous visions of exactly what I'll eat when I break the fast. Very vivid visions. I was in class and I swear that I smelled banana bread. Later I'll likely move on to seeing and tasting the desire of the moment. Just come rescue me if I begin to speak longingly about kimchi.

*Regarding the first paragraph... (I am, of course, utilizing the writer's tool of exaggeration. Korea offers many wonderful food choices. Just not these.)

I'll keep you posted about it. Wish me luck!

Aub

P.S. By the way, Jess, I think you should join us from way over in the States. I really just want you fasting because I'm mildly jealous that you can actually get all the foods I'm now craving.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

i've only been awake for two hours and i feel like i could quite possibly starve to death--right here, right now.

we. can. do. it.

sa!@#dfjal!#@dfkja%$@wieusl&*%kjd1
(cursing in computer language)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Detoxification?? I don't think that's in the Canadian-Dutch-Ghanian dictionary either. Oh wait... here it is... listed under "torture" along with torment, suffering, misery, pang, ache, and twinge; see also cruelty.

Hey Aubs, all power to ya. Maybe I can help you out... if you are really craving something BAD, just let me know and I can eat it for you and pass on the feelings of satisfaction. :)

:)

Love ya girl!!!!

I'm rooting for you!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

:) Ahhh, yes. I know the rice and kimchi well: breakfast, lunch, and tea at the uni dorms last year (not that I ate it). Thank you, God, that I have a kitchen this year!!!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home